Place of performance: Iraq
Date and duration: 2011 – 2016
Value of contract: Confidential
Due to the varying conditions around the Majnoon and Basrah region, Shell as a pro-active and caring employer, wanted to ensure that their employees and contractors stay safe. The purpose of the course is to raise road awareness skills and reduce the driver’s risk of becoming involved in a RTI (road traffic incident).
Restrata provided the DDT (Defensive Driver Training) course to cover the client’s requirements. The courses were designed for a range of vehicles:
- Light vehicles
- Heavy goods
- Polaris (Specialist course)
- Golf carts (Specialist course)
- 4×4 off road training (Specialist course)
The training courses were carried out in English by an expat UK driver trainer and in Arabic by a team of enthusiastic local Iraqi driver trainers who were carefully monitored for quality assurance and mentored by the UK trainer.
Drivers trained: 5500-6000
- Journey management
- Road Worthiness Assurance, Vehicle safety checks
- Driver fatigue Driver attitude Driver distractions
- Observation, anticipation and situational awareness
- Speed awareness
- Space awareness
- Reversing and safe manoeuvring In Vehicle Monitoring System Night driving
- Awareness of Road Safety Teams Understanding of rules and standards Reckless driving penalties
- Load restraints
Each driver received training on defensive driving techniques and were assessed on their abilities on the roads and vehicles they would be driving.
To that end, an extensive driver training programme was enacted with each local national driver undertaking a dedicated course.